Service discovery and configuration management
Service discovery frameworks like Etcd and Consul provide the building blocks for managing highly dynamic infrastructures, where new machines and services come and go rapidly. Previously it might have been adequate to store a static list of hosts in a text file or your config management system, but if you're to take full advantage of virtualisation and containers you need to react to change more quickly.
This talk will:
- Briefly introduce service discovery tools like Consul, Etcd, SkyDNS and Eureka
- Discuss the two speeds of configuration data
- Demonstrate integrating service discovery tools with the Puppet configuration management tool
- Touch on the subject of traditional change control processes in the context of service discovery
The audience should:
- Learn about the tools, and more importantly approaches, usefull when building responsive infrastructure
- See how to integrate service discovery with existing configuration management tools and practices
Gareth Rushgrove is a senior software engineer at Puppet Labs. He works remotely from Cambridge, UK, building interesting tools for people to better manage infrastructure. When not working he can be found writing the Devops Weekly newsletter or hacking on software in new-fangled programming languages.